[Culturechat] Swiss Expo 2002

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 19:17:01 +0200

Some of you know about the Swiss Expo 2002 being held from may until
October this year. Yesterday, my Godson's class sang there, in what is a
three day appearance, and I was happy to be able to see some of this
exposition.

We loaded into a really nice travel bus with about fifty other
interested people from Sachseln at 6 AM for the three hour drive to
Yverdon des Bains in French CH. The Expo is being held at four sites;
Yverdon, Biel, Murten, Neuenburg (Neuchatel), plus a floating exhibit on
the Three Lakes Region of the Lakes of Biel, Neuchatel, and Murten. It
is possible to visit each site by means of motorized catamaran passenger
ships on Lake Neuchatel. This would not be wise to try in one day, but
we were able to travel between the sites at Yverdon and Neuchatel with
sights at both places seen.

Expo is hard for me to describe. It is not comparable to anything that I
have seen. There are exhibits of superb technological complexity mixed
with simpler and almost rustic sites. At Yverdon, there are nine
different exhibitions. Since we arrived there first, we began our
investigations there. After a walk through some ever changing hills of
geraniums and lavender, we found "The Cloud". This is the most
spectacular looking exhibit in Yverdon. We purchased rain ponchos, put
the glasses away, and stepped into a cloud. There are thousands of
miniature nozzles spraying a fine mist over this three tiered structure
that sits out over the lake's edge. this makes it appear as a cloud
floating on the surface of the water. It was not a really hot day, but I
can imagine this would be the best place to be if it were really warm.
Other sites that we found interesting were an exhibit on pain with a
trip through a rendition of the nerve fibers in one's body while
listening to descriptions of somatic pain by patients,  a warm and
humorous tale of love between two people in a place called "Swiss Love",
a wonderful, almost out of body experience in "Wer bin Ich?" (Who am I?)
which is a personal favorite of mine and was revisited by more than one
of us. By far and away, the most educational exhibit here is "The Garden
of Eden". Most of this is a work of Roche pharmaceuticals and is a slick
and professionally run exhibit of genetic theory, practicality, and
great multimedia interactive health education. There is a great deal
more, but these are the high spots of Yverdon's presentations.

For 20 CHF each way, we bought tickets on a slick motor catamaran for
the 40+ minute ride to and from Neuchatel's Expo exhibit. This turned
out to be a treat also. To me, the exhibits called the "Kieselsteine
(Polished Rocks) was the best, but we did not have enough time there for
us to see it all. The Rocks consists of seven different exhibits on an
elevated huge platform over the lake surrounded by hundreds of thin rods
each topped by a light and waving in the lake waves. There is a
spectacular night time light show there, I hear. Because of the kids
performance, we had to cut this visit short and return to Yverdon, but I
think it could be another day's visit.

As expected, there are lines in which one must wait. None of these waits
was over 15 minutes, and the crowd management is at least as good as a
Disney theme park (which I think is awfully good). We had fun speaking
to the numerous school children anxious to practice their English on us.
Throughout the areas, there are many personnel seeming to anticipate
your questions, help with explanations in any language, and in general,
keep things on an even keel. Of course, there are many restaurants from
sit down with table service to stand up eateries. The variety of foods
is abundant, and the prices are reasonable by CH standards. Public WCs
are almost ubiquitous and the usual operating room standards of
cleanliness apply here, as else where in CH. CHF and Euros, as well as
credit cards are accepted. A ticket gets you a wrist band with admission
to all sites of the Expo. There are few extras for which you must pay.
There seemed to be little or no souvenir hawking. I expect if you are
searching for a ball cap or a tee shirt, you will have to hunt a bit.

I will admit to misgivings about Expo before I saw it. I think now, that
it will be hard to make this be a paying operation, but I expect all who
visit will want to return to see more. So far, the visitor projections
are ahead of those needed to break even. I think that I do want to see
more.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch