[Culturechat] gigli needs help

Ray Goodwin RayannafromFl@webtv.net
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:46:53 -0500 (EST)

Vance, regarding your inquiry about railcar couplings, the AAR (American
Association of Railroads) designates the type coupling you inquired
about as "standard coupling cushioned drawbar".
This type coupling was engineered to to reduce the amount of shock
occuring when cars are either flat switched or pushed over the "hump" in
"humpyards". It also reduces movement of the lading in the freight cars
when the slack is taken up when the train move forward.
As Irv Smith wrote, the coupling is the regular knuckle type with the
cushioning device built into the shank housing.  This cushioning device
was originally designed or engineered to prevent excessive damage in
carloads of Canadian newsprint.  When I retired from the railroad 19
years ago the demand for cushion, supercushion, or Hydracushion cars by
shippers of fragile materials was very  high, and the supply was
limited.  I imagine today the availability of this type equipment is
adequate to meet demand.
I hope  that I have not given you more information than you wanted.

Ray Goodwin - Palmetto,Fl.