[Culturechat] CH and the UN

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:27:04 +0100

As many of you may know, on 3 March, the Swiss will vote on entrance
into the United Nations. This is a hot topic right now, and I have asked
some folks about this. With few exceptions, it is an age issue. The
older CH are against it, as are the far right political party members.
The Federal government, the younger voters, and the more educated are
for it. There are always exceptions to this grouping though.

By Kantons, one can break it down as this:

The Kantons af Schaffhausen, Thurgau, Appenzell, Schwyz, Niewalden, and
Obwalden are in the definite "No" group.
The Kantons of Luzern, Zug, and Jura are anybody's guess.
The Kantons of Uri and Glarus are leaning toward a "Yes".
The Kanton of Ticino is leaning toward a "No".
The rest of the Kantons are a "Yes".

The big objections are the fear of neutrality loss, and the cost of UN
support going to the politicians of the world with little reward for CH.
Of course, there are scare tactics used by the opposition, and I expect,
by the proponents too. The campaigning will continue to be vociferous
until the deed is done.
--
Barbara and Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.