[Culturechat] A thought about gifts

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:12:18 +0100

  Barbara and I were trying to decide about gifts for some of our
friends and relatives who have every thing the other day. In a blaze of
genius (something more and more unusual for me), the idea of a donation
in their names came to me. Now, I have done this on occasions before
but mostly for the family of a dead person. OK, why not do it for a
live one? Barbara gets the credit for suggesting the Idyll Foundation,
an idea conceived and cared for by Hal and a board of advisors for some
years now.

This is not an advertisement for the foundation or Idyll, think what
you wish. To find out more about this project that is so dear to Hal's
heart, I got a brochure from him. Over the years, he and I had talked
about some of his work. I knew that Hal himself, goes to some mighty
poor and destitute areas of the USA and the world, in order to shepherd
some of the benefits that the foundation provides to some people who
are worse than dirt poor. When we all have so much more than the rest,
it makes me feel mighty good to give back a little.

I realize that a lot of folks who read this won't have a clue about
this "foundation". So be it.  Those of you who do, and especially those
who know Hal, might give it a thought. Maybe this old hat to some of
you. I have learned by experience that Hal sits down and writes a
personal acknowledgement to the person(s) honored by the donation. That
really blew some of my recipients away in this day of computer
generated letters.

Hal will likely be embarrassed by this, but it is a nice idea, we are
glad that we did it, and we will repeat this for birthdays, etc. from
now on. Hal would never suggest this on the chats, but most people know
that my mouth is never far from open. If a lot of you already do this,
remember that I was always a late bloomer.

Before I forget, Merry Christmas!!! (I still say it that way)

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch