[Culturechat] Eizenstadt book on CH banks

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:31:58 +0100

The new book "Imperfect Justice" by Stuart Eizenstat has caused the fit
to hit the shan here in CH. I hope Mr. Eizenstadt has no Swiss travel
plans in this life. Why? The book's cover depicts a Swiss flag with the
white cross overlayed with gold bars in the shape of a swastika.
Actually, since the swastika is just another form of a cross, this
shouldn't be too bad. I once saw an entire floor tiled with these in a
home built by Jews.

The problem arises from the connotation that the Swiss were active in
helping the Nazis handle their gold. This has been shown to be true by
the Bergier Commission's findings here in CH. Most folks here say that
the cover is shameful and a gross misrepresentation. Eizenstat has
already said that another cover can be used without his objection on
the German and French editions. It was he who did a lot of work to set
up a settlement of 1.25 billion US$ between banks here and Holocaust
survivors and their families.

There is a division of opinion here about if the people of a country
are to be responsible for the actions of their national bank. I wonder
if we would always be willing to be held accountable for the US Federal
Reserve's activities? Others say that in any democracy, the people are
responsible for the government's actions. Swiss Jews are not happy with
the cover either, and the head of the Swiss federation of Jewish
Communities has labeled the cover, "shocking, in bad taste, and
completely wrong".

A lot of this is moot anyway, since there is slim to none likelihood of
stopping the publication of the book.

This could come home to haunt Mr. Eizenstat, since he works for a law
firm that has a large Swiss bank as a client.

All this does little to enhance the image of the USA, which in Europe
at least, is looked now as a bully.

I tend to agree more with those who say that one should look into the
book and not at it's cover.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
http://homepage.mac.com/fredch