[Culturechat] Switzerland and the EU

Peter Haggart haggart@uidaho.edu
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:40:45 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0186_01C166C0.41190FC0

Keep the cows and their bells and their herdsmen and herdswomen - forever.
Every time we describe one of our trips to Switzerland to people asking
about Idyll we always include a story or observation about the cows. For
instance, taking the lifts above Lungern you pass over what appears to be a
"cow town" - buildings and cows but no people - and all the ringing.

Pete
Moscow, ID
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: The Swiss Team
  To: culturechat@untours.com
  Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 12:02 PM
  Subject: [Culturechat] Switzerland and the EU

  Switzerland and the European Union. Why isn't she part of it?

  I heard a very captivating lecture entitled "Europe and the 21st
century -- one state or many" last week at the University of Pennsylvania.
The lecturer, Jonathan Steinberg, Ph.D. (who also wrote "Why Switzerland?",
Cambridge University Press, 1976) is definitely an expert on and fan of
Switzerland.
  I always thought that the reasons for Switzerland's staying out of the EU
were mainly economic (they heavily subsidize those pretty cows). He,
however, mentioned that any country joining the EU had to adopt a package of
some 1600 laws. Switzerland, being the  extremely democratic country it is,
puts up issues for discussion amongst its citizens in numerous referendums
each year and therefore could never adopt a package of laws written in stone
(Having spent most of my life in former East Germany, I find this quite
remarkable).
  So, it actually seems to the tourist's advantage that Switzerland is not
part of the EU. Or would you still go if all the small dairy farmers with
their handful of cows had disappeared from the Alps?

  Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
  Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1 Web: <www.untours.com>

  Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
  Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

  "Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
  Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
  Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>

------=_NextPart_000_0186_01C166C0.41190FC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Keep the cows and their bells and =
their=20
herdsmen and herdswomen - forever. Every time we describe one of our =
trips to=20
Switzerland to people asking about Idyll we always include a story or=20
observation about the cows. For instance, taking the lifts above Lungern =
you=20
pass over what appears to be a "cow town" - buildings and cows but no =
people -=20
and all the ringing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Pete</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Moscow, ID</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcathrin.baumbach@untours.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:cathrin.baumbach@untours.com">The Swiss Team</A> </DIV>
title=3Dculturechat@untours.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:culturechat@untours.com">culturechat@untours.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, November 06, =
2001 12:02=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Culturechat] =
Switzerland and=20
  the EU</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><U>Switzerland and the European Union. Why isn't she =
part of=20
  it?<BR><BR></U>I heard a very captivating lecture entitled "Europe and =
the=20
  21st century -- one state or many" last week at the University of=20
  Pennsylvania. The lecturer, Jonathan Steinberg, Ph.D. (who also wrote =
"Why=20
  Switzerland?", Cambridge University Press, 1976) is definitely an =
expert on=20
  and fan of Switzerland. <BR>I always thought that the reasons for=20
  Switzerland's staying out of the EU were mainly economic (they heavily =

  subsidize those pretty cows). He, however, mentioned that any country =
joining=20
  the EU had to adopt a package of some 1600 laws. Switzerland, being =
the&nbsp;=20
  extremely democratic country it is, puts up issues for discussion =
amongst its=20
  citizens in numerous referendums each year and therefore could never =
adopt a=20
  package of laws written in stone (Having spent most of my life in =
former East=20
  Germany, I find this quite remarkable).<BR>So, it actually seems to =
the=20
  tourist's advantage that Switzerland is not part of the EU. Or would =
you still=20
  go if all the small dairy farmers with their handful of cows had =
disappeared=20
  from the Alps? <BR><BR><BR><BR>
  =
<DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D</DIV>
  <DIV>Untours - Independent Travel With Support!</DIV>
  <DIV>Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1 Web: &lt;<A href=3D"http://www.untours.com/"=20
  EUDORA=3D"AUTOURL">www.untours.com</A>&gt;</DIV><BR>
  <DIV>Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European =
travel!</DIV>
  <DIV>Visit: &lt;<A href=3D"http://www.untours.com/idyllchat/"=20
  EUDORA=3D"AUTOURL">www.untours.com/idyllchat/</A>&gt;</DIV><BR>
  <DIV>"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by =
Newman's</DIV>
  <DIV>Own &amp; George magazine. For information on the Idyll =
Development</DIV>
  <DIV>Foundation, visit: &lt;<A href=3D"http://www.untours.com/idf"=20
  =
EUDORA=3D"AUTOURL">www.untours.com/idf</A>&gt;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY><=