[Culturechat] Food, etc

Pat and Janet Wentworth wentwort@ncal.verio.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:50:20 -0800

No Jane, you are not alone.  I enjoy a good meal but it isn't the focus of
my life.  When traveling in Europe -- especially France or Italy-- looking
forward to a nice evening meal and a chance to unwind, talk, enjoy others'
company is a great way to end the day.

I know people who plan their entire itinerary based on restaurant choices.
I plan based on what I want to do (museum, hike, sightseeing) and end up
eating at whatever is convenient.  This is why those guidebook
recommendations are usually wasted on me -- they don't ever seem to apply to
where I am at the moment.

I don't believe one way is better than another -- even though on this group
the European way has been described at "civilized" -- I guess implying that
the rest of us are uncivilized!

Frankly I enjoy being less tied to a food-centered life.  I can enjoy a
gourmet relaxing meal and yet also survive quite nicely on a more fast-food
approach when that is appropriate. I think this is a more balanced way to
live.

I have heard that many Italians laugh at the American rushing from one
museum to another while they are enjoying a leisurely meal.  To each his
own-- I treasure many wonder "food related" memories as well as wonderful
trips to museums, monuments, etc.

So go ahead and have a great trip and enjoy those sandwiches!

Janet