[Culturechat] Food, etc

Brian Taussig-Lux bt@untours.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 12:39:26 -0500

Ann, you reminded me of a time when we took some Swiss friends Vincent and
Ricci to the Adirondacks.

The drive time to our destination on a lake from Media is over seven
hours.  We packed sandwiches to eat in the car on the way up.  We knew that
this violated their European sensibilities and joked a bit about this with
our guests on the way north.  They had a great time with us in the
mountains and appreciated the beauty of the area and the hearty food.

On our trip home we got started after lunch.  The plan was to wait until we
got home for a late dinner and snack on crackers and fruit in the
car.  This was too much for our friend Vincent.  He insisted that we stop
for dinner even though it would add over an hour to our already long
trip.  Our only option was a truck stop.  We warned him that the food might
not be very tasty, but he insisted.  Sure enough, we had heavy, greasy,
tasteless food for dinner with soda, not wine.

I think Vincent had a revelation at that point about American culture.  It
may also be one more reason that it is hard to maintain that European
attitude toward civilized eating here in the U.S.