[Culturechat] Chat ground rules

Joe Tosolt joe.tosolt@untours.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 10:12:14 -0500

Hi Culture Chatters,

I'm glad to see that we're starting to see some interesting information
going back and forth here on Culture Chat once again. The Untours staff is
going to attempt to raise some opinions and issues, as Dodge did the other
day with his Ode To France.

A few thoughts:

1) I think it's safe to say that we've had a number of posts with a much
meaner spirit than is acceptable. For one thing, I fear that sort of
atmosphere will discourage people from participating in the discussion (ie.
"what if someone takes to me task"). I like the opinion that was raised
yesterday that this should be thought of as a dinner table conversation. A
wag points out that we should specify: "not" a family dinner table
conversation (depends on your family, I guess).

2) If you are on this list and don't wish to be, please just follow the
link to the account maintenance page; it appears at the bottom of each
culture chat message. If you try and fail, then just email me directly and
I'll get you off the list. Good internet etiquette requires that you not
send a message directly to the list, since you are then emailing several
hundred people who are unable to help you. Even worse, if you choose to
phrase your request without tact, you will be needlessly antagonizing the
entire community. I'm happy to help you directly.

3) No personal attacks, no "flaming", period. There are 100 million
chatrooms where you can get your fill of that. There can't be more than a
handful with decent, intelligent conversation and sharing of opinions.
We're going to make and keep this as one of the latter.

4) This is an Osama-free zone. No religion, no politics. Just a place where
we can help to educate one another about cultures and ways of life beyond
those familiar to us. We can turn on the radio at any moment to receive an
update on the minutiae of current events, so there is no need to rehash it
here in our little oasis.

5) Culture chat should be fun... and we at Untours hope that it will help
to expand all of our brains a little bit. If we all learn just one new
thing each day, think how much smarter we'll be 100 years from now!

Regards,
Joe Tosolt

Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1    Web: <http://www.untours.com>

Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>