[Culturechat] Culture Shock

Vance Roy gigli.saw@virtualnewport.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 14:22:09 -0400

tillhouse wrote:

> All much the same in Ca. except we look from the shore to the hills, then
> mts.  Lights on all night?  Even our night security lights have been
> extinguished.  Better thiefs take our $$ than the power companies with their
> $600 bills.  Pool is empty, freezer unplugged, big appliances run only at
> night.  But still, it's home----our home and we love it.

> > The lights, the lights!!!! All on and always on. The house next door is
> > totally, and I mean it all, illuminated all night long. I fear it won't
> > be long until I am walking out of the house and leaving the lights on.
> > On the other hand, at least in RI, recycling is easier. Just drag it to
> > the curb. In CH one has to load it or tie it up.

CA seems to always lead the way in the USA. Wonder how long it will take
for the eastward creep to reach the rest of us? Just heard Geo. W.
expound on gasoline and the need for new refineries, new cars, less
taxes so people can consume more. No words about mass transit, or
anything else about conservation. The solution to road glut seems to be
more roads not less cars.

Vance C. Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch