[Culturechat] Shopping

Andrea Szyper Andrea.Szyper@untours.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:51:16 -0500

Hello, friends!
I hope you are not too bogged down in holiday shopping. I know it's easy to
lose a little of the meaning of the season as we race from mall to mall.

As the gift-giving season is upon us, I am wrapping Christmas gifts for
family and friends. I went to Italy in November and brought many gifts back
with me, so my holiday shopping was fun this year: scanning the outdoor
markets and artisans' stalls in Florence for the right scarf for my mother
or pottery for friends.

It got me wondering how much shopping you all do on your travels. Do you
bring back gifts for others or significant souvenirs for yourself? Is it
Swiss chocolate, Gouda from Holland, a good Tuscan wine to share with
friends? Or more durable and personal goods you'll keep to invoke memories?

How can we capture the essence of a culture or an experience in an item we
buy at market? Is it worthwhile to try, or can shopping distract us from
experiencing a place or culture in a more meaningful way?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Happy Holidays!
Andrea Szyper
Untours, the Italian Team

P.S.
I "captured Italy" on this trip with a new pair of boots, some truffle
paste and wine for myself.

Untours - Independent Travel With Support!
Tel.: 888-UNTOUR-1 Web: <http://www.untours.com>

Join IdyllChat, an email discussion group on European travel!
Visit: <www.untours.com/idyllchat/>

"Most Generous Company in America, 1999" awarded by Newman's
Own & George magazine. For information on the Idyll Development
Foundation, visit: <www.untours.com/idf>