[Culturechat] Maternal Leave in CH

Kk5qq@aol.com Kk5qq@aol.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:01:48 EST

--part1_9f.1f2abb55.2939a21c_boundary

In a message dated 11/30/01 8:57:47 AM Central Standard Time,
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch writes:

> If she does not plan to return to work, then
> she gets nothing the second eight week period.

Several general thoughts, as they applied to the oil company I retired from
ten years ago.  I don't know the current law.

1) Now and then somebody would go on maternity leave, take the salary &
benefits the company kept paying, possibly put us in a minor bind as we kept
her job available but yet had to cope with day-to-day stuff in her absence --
and then six weeks after baby born decide to stay home with baby rather than
return to work.  We never got our money back.  I thought such funds should be
escrowed so we could deduct it from the final retirement-fund payout, etc.,
but ERISA rules didn't like that.  I also joked that the legal department
should get liens on the babies.  (Our General Counsel didn't like that.)

2) I have similar thoughts about employees who take advantage of company
programs to further their education (say, for an engineer to obtain a law
degree) -- and then leave our employment soon after getting the new degree.
I think funds spent for educational assistance should be escrowed, so to
speak, to be earned over a several year period.  If employee leaves sooner,
he or she has to repay what hasn't yet been worked off.

3) One lady working in my department unexpectedly (she was in her 40s and
quite overweight) had a very-premature baby destined to stay in the hospital
for many months.  The mother lost very little work time before and after the
birth.  We allowed her to defer her maternity leave until such time as the
baby finally came home.  This worked out well psychologically and medically,
and now, years later, I understand the child is doing fine and the mother is
still a valuable employee.

4) We had one female geophysicist who made much more money than her husband's
job paid.  After her maternity leave, SHE came back to work and HE quit his
job to become a househusband.

Irv Smith

--part1_9f.1f2abb55.2939a21c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FACE="Bangle" LANG="0">In a message dated 11/30/01 8:57:47 AM Central Standard Time, gigli.saw@dplanet.ch writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">If she does not plan to return to work, then<BR>
she gets nothing the second eight week period.<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FACE="Bangle" LANG="0">Several general thoughts, as they applied to the oil company I retired from ten years ago.&nbsp; I don't know the current law.<BR>
<BR>
1) Now and then somebody would go on maternity leave, take the salary &amp; benefits the company kept paying, possibly put us in a minor bind as we kept her job available but yet had to cope with day-to-day stuff in her absence -- and then six weeks after baby born decide to stay home with baby rather than return to work.&nbsp; We never got our money back.&nbsp; I thought such funds should be escrowed so we could deduct it from the final retirement-fund payout, etc., but ERISA rules didn't like that.&nbsp; I also joked that the legal department should get liens on the babies.&nbsp; (Our General Counsel didn't like that.)<BR>
<BR>
2) I have similar thoughts about employees who take advantage of company programs to further their education (say, for an engineer to obtain a law degree) -- and then leave our employment soon after getting the new degree.&nbsp; I think funds spent for educational assistance should be escrowed, so to speak, to be earned over a several year period.&nbsp; If employee leaves sooner, he or she has to repay what hasn't yet been worked off.<BR>
<BR>
3) One lady working in my department unexpectedly (she was in her 40s and quite overweight) had a very-premature baby destined to stay in the hospital for many months.&nbsp; The mother lost very little work time before and after the birth.&nbsp; We allowed her to defer her maternity leave until such time as the baby finally came home.&nbsp; This worked out well psychologically and medically, and now, years later, I understand the child is doing fine and the mother is still a valuable employee.<BR>
<BR>
4) We had one female geophysicist who made much more money than her husband's job paid.&nbsp; After her maternity leave, SHE came back to work and HE quit his job to become a househusband.<BR>
<BR>
Irv Smith<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_9f.1f2abb55.2939a21c_boundary--