[Culturechat] European/American attitudes changing

Vance Roy gigli.saw@dplanet.ch
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:48:55 +0200

Bobj244@aol.com wrote:

> An article in the current issue of Foreign Affairs magazine began, "To
> European elites, the United States has become a poster child for bad behavior
> at home and hegemonic hubris abroad."  This morning the Electronic Telegraph
> web site stated, "ANTI-AMERICANISM is rising at such an alarming rate in
> Europe that it threatens to strike at the heart of the transatlantic
> relationship, Francis Maude, the shadow foreign secretary, has warned."
>
> Has anyone picked up this attitude one their travels?  Or, is this just a
> high level intellectual debate?

Bob,

I am not sure what the European elite is, but I think that I have an
idea about the average Swiss German person.

Maybe I am just unlearned, but the only issue of Foreign Affairs that I
ever read left me in a light coma. Only tried once though.

Other than the usual folks around here, in the past week we have been
the only Americans at two parties, each with about 40 people at them. We
found nothing but interest and hospitality. A lot of " ordinary" Swiss
either have
been or want to be in the USA, for travel, to visit their children who
are students in
the USA, or for business.

To a person, they are all friendly and fun to be with. There may be some
real Butts out there, but not in our circle. Not to mistake, the Swiss
are honest. They will tell you, George Bush may not be smart. They will
admit that he needs a chance though. That's the way I feel too. One of
the real surprises for me was on a night when I asked a group, "who is
the worst USA president in your recollection"? The answer: John
Kennedy!!! Why? I don't know, except the rest were better. Nixon was
runner up. What an unholy pair!

They are so much fun to be with in their speech. There is no haughtiness
about language. In fact, it is hard to speak German, they want to speak
English. Maybe a bit different than the Frogs. (OK, Frog lovers write
and tell me why they are Frogs!); I know, and maybe you don't. I learned
from a French person about this.

Whatever, let me assure one and all. These folks are purveyors of
tourism. Americans are loved because they keep coming back. Idyllers are
a special sub group, because they come back and try to be Swiss. They
are glad to have you here. Because you are Americans and because you are
appreciative of the beauty of this small land.

Overall: These folks are happy to see you. They count you. They see you
as an education. They really are just as human as you are.

Vance Roy
gigli.saw@dplanet.ch.